Bicycle Longmont's Annual Holiday Bike Program
It was a very successful year for our program. Please consider a donation to help us continue it in the future.
- At Bicycle Longmont, Santa's Elves will repair used, no longer needed bikes and get them to kids whose families have a tough time during the holiday season. In some cases, parts from 2 or 3 bikes may be used to create 1 safe and rideable bike. Last year we were able to repair and hand out 439 bikes to kids in need. To view pictures of the day, go here.
will now be accepting donated bikes year round. To donate a bicycle to
our Holiday Bike Program, please call 303-651-0917 and we'll arrange a
- The bikes needed are "kid size"... those with 12", 16", 20", 24" wheels. Tricycles and push scooters are also accepted. Mountain bikes are good, too. Santa has enough 3 speed and 10 speed style bikes, so those are not needed. Also, no rust buckets, please.
- Volunteer repair work on the bikes has begun and will continue until the bikes are given out on December 3 at the YMCA. The bike repair is taking place in the warehouse at Sun Construction, 1232 Boston Ave. in Longmont. The times are: Monday thru Friday from early morning 'til 2pm; on Saturday & Sunday, we begin at 10am and continue as long as anyone wants to keep working. Drop in anytime to lend a hand.
- Updates are posted frequently on Bicycle Longmont's Facebook page.
- For instructions on what to do, see below.
Please donate to the Bicycle Longmont Kids' Holiday Bike Program to help us purchase helmets and repair parts:
Bike Repair for the Holiday Bike Program
Thanks for your interest in helping repair bikes for Bicycle Longmont’s Holiday Bike Program.
Our repair shop is open 7 days a week inside the warehouse at Sun Construction, 1232 Boston Avenue (across from Left Hand Brewery). The warehouse is located just east of Sun’s offices. Enter thru the gate in the chain link fence and look for a line of parked trucks. The warehouse itself is not particularly large.
Our hours of operation are:
Oct-Dec, Mon – Fri; 6:00am ‘til 2:00pm.
Sat & Sun; 10:00am until we get tired of working.
Just show up. This is all very informal. There are no assigned work schedules. Just do what you can, when you can during the open hours.
The bikes needing repair are inside the warehouse and readily visible as you walk in.
What you’ll find: We have cleaner, polish, rags, tires, tubes and other small parts for the repairs. There are some repair stands there. If you have one, please bring it and leave it for the duration, if you can. We often need more than we have available.
What you’ll need: Bring your own tools and take them with you when you leave.
Sometimes you may be the only one there; at other times there may be several other volunteers. We all work when we can for as long as the mood strikes us. Bike mechanic skills are not needed. Most bikes just need cleaning and polishing and some air in the tires. Some will need a bit more work. There are volunteers with very good mechanical skills and experience who can handle the repairs that may be beyond your ability. All bikes must be rideable and safe and as attractive as possible when we are finished with them.
Regarding flat tires: If a tire is completely flat (there is no air inside the tube) assume it is a punctured tube and replace (don’t patch) it with a new tube.. If a tire has a bit of air in it and you don’t see any thorns in the tire, assume it is just low from sitting for an extended time and inflate the tire. Tires that are worn thru the casing should be replaced. If there is any tread, although worn, they are still good for our purposes. The bikes don’t have to be as perfect as you would keep your own bike… just safe and rideable and as attractive as possible.
When you leave, please clean up after yourself and straighten up the table tops. Put everything that you can under the tables, particularly any tools that you see that were there when you arrived. Questions? Call Buzz: 303-709-6991. Thanks so much for your help!!!
Holiday Bike Program Sponsors/Contributors